Cracking the unisons

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Fri, 06 Jan 2006 22:47:26 -0600

> Tunelab and Verituner use both FFT as pre anaylsis.

Pre-analysis is not pitch determination. The actual tuning is done
with different algorithms. I think that's what I said, if I'm not
mistaken. I'm sure you'll correct me if I am.

> Every box has its own procedure by mangling the partials to calculate a
> virtual overall pitch,
> but the exact realtime float cannot be caught that way with todays
> sample rates.

Sample rates have barely a damn thing to do with it. The FFT, by
itself, is not capable of a fine enough resolution for tuning, given
the noisy signal of a piano tone.

> Cybertuner uses counting of cero crossings of filtered signal, needs
> also means over a longer time period.
> (see patent papers)

As do all of the ETDs, as far as I know (filtered or otherwise).
This, again hasn't a bloody thing to do with the FFT.

>> FFT phase angle, but if there is a way to measure a piano tone partial
>> accurately in real time (or at all, for that matter) with FFT, I'd
>> sure like to know the method.
>

> there is actually no, thatīs what i said.

It is? I must be reading a different language that you're writing
then. Sorry, I seem to have missed it altogether. Surely my fault,
as I'm sure you'd agree.

Awaiting enlightenment,
Ron N