Cracking the unisons

Barbara Richmond piano57@insightbb.com
Fri, 6 Jan 2006 23:07:42 -0600

You're right, don't throw it away, Mr. Bill.  My "high end" concert =
work, ahem, almost always starts with a quick pitch correction (those =
are the circumstances, unfortunately) and then the strips go into the =
tool case.  Round two is unisons as I go--sometimes with strips and =
wedges, sometimes just with 2 wedge mutes.  I'm afraid I'm not a =
cracker... Then again, I just tune those unisons until they are as clean =
as possible and have never thought about what partial I'm using--or =
maybe it's just that I haven't thought about what partial I use in such =
a long time that I've forgotten.  Hmm...perhaps the left side of my =
brain is gone...

Alan's concert hall description is very close to reality.  For those =
purists out there who think ETDs don't have their place in  performance =
situations, preparing a piano in a public concert hall is <very> =
different from tuning in a university recital hall (the former =
university tech in me speaks).  Until I got this gig, I had never set a =
unison using an ETD.  The thought of it still scares me a bit.  Somehow, =
it just seems unnatural---and as David Love said, it takes longer.  But =
<longer> is better than <impossible> when tuning amidst big noise.  No =
matter how difficult the situation is (BTW, they're not <all> awful), =
the final check is by ear--for my peace of mind.

Barbara Richmond, RPT=20

----- Original Message -----=20