Cracking the unisons

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Sat, 07 Jan 2006 19:21:53 +0100

Robert !!

Thank you so much for your straight forward and on topic response. I
would enjoy greatly it if you could go into a little more detailed
description of the algorithm behind the phase display  and  how it
measures pitch.  It would also be cool to hear a bit about how measuring
of several partials  at once (ie inharmonicity readings) is done on
different machines.

Cheers as always
RicB

Ric Brekne asked for it, so here's the deal on FFTs and TuneLab.

The comments are correct that the FFT is used only for the Spectrum
Display, which is simply a graph of the FFT power spectrum in the
vicinity of the desired pitch.  The fine tuning is usually done with the
Phase Display, which is functionally like the Accu-Tuner lights because
a phase measurement is being made over and over again.  It is the phase
between the selected partial and an internally-generated ideal signal.
In the case of TuneLab, this is all simulated in software.  In the case
of Accu-Tuner, there is an actual quadrature electrical signal
synthesized by the computer chip which is used to strobe transistor
switches that drive the LEDs.  (I recommend the original Sanderson
patent which describes this.  It is very readable.  I don't have the
patent number handy, but you can find it on-line at the Patent Office
website.)  By watching how the phase drifts forward or backward, the
user determines if the piano pitch is high or low.  The advantage of a
phase-type displa!
 y is
that there is a perfect trade-off between how long you watch the display
and how precise the pitch comparison is.  The limiting factor is not the
technology, but rather the length of the sustain of the note being
measured.  Every time you strike the note, the phase starts out in a
random place, so every strike is a new independent measurement, not a
continuation of the measurement.  This analysis applies to the Yamaha
PT-100, the Conn Strobo-tuner, the Peterson strobes, the Accu-Tuner, and
TuneLab.  I don't know if Dave or Dean are using a phase-type
calculation.  Even though both programs use a spinner, which looks like
a phase-type display, it is entirely possible to synthesize the movement
of the spinner from calculations that are based on FFTs.  In principle,
it should be possible to extract the same amount of information from a
FFT, provided the sample period was optimally-chosen.  The description
of the CyberTuner in Dean's patents seems to imply that he is using a
time-domain bandpass filter to select a particular partial, and then
measuring the time between a large number of zero-crossings to determine
pitch.  Again, in principle, given the optimal bandpass filter and
number of zero-crossings, it should be possible to extract the same
amount of information as any of these other methods.  In my opinion,
whether you use quadrature demodulation (like TuneLab and Accu-Tuner) or
FFTs, or bandpass filters with zero-crossings, there is no intrinsic
difference in the potential of these methods.  The differences, if there
are any, would lie in the details of how each method was implemented.

Robert Scott
Real-Time Specialties