Pitch Raise

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Sat, 07 Jan 2006 13:01:37 -0600

> Hi Ron,
> Never done a aural pich raise , so I'm trying to understand in my head what
> you have said.
> If the beat rate for example is 4 per second flat to A 440 would you raise 1
> beat sharp for a 25% above pitch raise?

Yes, only I can't say I ever did it counting beats. It's
proportional, and the greater the pitch change, the smaller the
proportion, I think. In other words, a smaller pitch raise gets a
greater overpull percentage than a larger pitch raise. I never
actually measured it.

> I use the SATlll and use its pitch raise functions with a little tweeking,
> all to get in old uprights and grands 15% in the bass, 25% tenor, 30% about
> C5 and up.

Similar.

> The exception to this is small pianos especially ones with laminated sound
> boards.
> 10% bass, 16.5% or about 2/3 of 25% and 25% about C5 up. This is easy to do
> by taking off the numbers that show when one measures the flatness of a note
> and changing them and setting the unit.

Unless it's a Kimball, then nothing you try will work anywhere
nearly the same as it did on the last one. <G>

>Also there is more problems with
> the pitch holding when one does a pitch lowering rather than raising.
> Joe Goss RPT

There certainly are, because you can't help the strings render
through the bridge by pounding. The back scale has to pull it
through all by itself, in it's own time.

Ron N