Rib scaling question

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Sat, 07 Jan 2006 13:08:03 -0600

> Primarily for Dale Erwin, (who was generous enough to share his thoughts
> and his photos with us all through the PTG Journal) but anyone please feel
> free to chime in if you've got thoughts on this...
>
> Most rib scale modifications I've seen / heard about involve additional
> ribs, closer together, and perpendicular to the bridge, in the treble.
> Reasons:  maintain crown, increase impedence for longer sustain.  I'm
> wondering how critical it is to get enough but not too much increased
> stiffness.  Have you ever gone too far?  What were the resulting symptoms?
>
> thanks
>
> Mike

The addition of treble ribs is realistically more important to crown
support in the killer octave than to high treble stiffness. The
symptom of too much stiffness in the high end is that short sustain
screaming treble we talked about a couple of weeks ago. The cure is
mass to get the fundamental resonant frequency down.

Ron N