Lovely birdcage - what to do?

Geoff Sykes thetuner@ivories52.com
Sat, 7 Jan 2006 17:37:07 -0800

=20
Greetings all --
=20
I had my first birdcage yesterday. I think I lucked out. Yeah, difficult =
work on, but considering it is probably over 100 years old the thing =
looked
practically new. A Carl H. Hintz, made in Germany. I could not find a =
serial
number but a medallion on the fall board says 1900. See below for links =
the photos I took.
=20
The woman who owns this piano inherited if from her mom about 30 years =
ago.
She says that her family purchased it from it's previous owner when she =
was
six. My guess is that translates to about 50 years ago. The current =
owner
has played it but claims she has never had it tuned or any other work
performed on it since she took ownership 30 years ago. Had I not already
seen this piano before agreeing to work on it I might have had second
thoughts about the job. But the thing is gorgeous and I wanted to add
birdcage experience to my accomplishments.=20
=20
The piano is clean and in incredibly good shape. It's obvious that =
sometime
just prior to my customer receiving the piano some major work was done =
on
it. New strings, pins, bridges, hammers, felts etc. Since it has been =
played
for 30 years the hammers need reshaping but all the rest of the felt is
almost like new.=20
=20
Aside from sharing the photos of this piano I also have a couple of
questions. The only thing apparently NOT replaced or repaired on this =
piano
was the pinblock. Which actually sort of makes sense. And while it is
unquestionably on the loose side it will actually, just barely, hold a
tuning. For how long...?=20
=20
Even a good piano, after 30 years, is not going to sound even remotely =
good.
This one definitely sounded dreadful. A4 was at 409. I was advised by a
couple of techs NOT to attempt a pitch raise but to just bring it into =
tune
wherever it already was. They said that the piano was never designed to =
be
tuned to 440 and chances are the soundboard and/or plate could sustain
damage if I tried to bring it up to that. I brought it up to 415 only
because that was as low as I could get PRCT to go. And it held. And she =
was
happy.
=20
Question 1: Given the overall great condition of the rest of the piano, =
is
it a candidate for a thin CA glue treatment to the pins to improve =
tuning
stability?

Question 2: Should the answer to question 1 be yes, what pitch should =
this
piano realistically be tuned to?
=20
The owner is willing to put "some" money into making it play better =
because
even in tune the worn hammers make it sound pretty funky. Is it worth =
it? In
fact, what do you people think this piano is worth?
=20
The following photos are for reference to my above questions, and your
enjoyment.
=20
This is a front view of the piano, with everything in place. I noticed =
that
the left and right panels had the screw holes filled where the =
candelabras
used to be. Had I not looked really closely I never would have noticed.=20
http://tinyurl.com/82gst
=20
This is a close up of the center of the front panel. The flowers are
engraved into the wood.=20
http://tinyurl.com/b99ac
=20
The fallboard had two medallions on either side of a nameplate casting. =
Here
is the left medallion.
http://tinyurl.com/dxvgn
=20
Here is the nameplate casting.
http://tinyurl.com/8rbra
=20
And here is the right medallion, showing the date of 1900.
http://tinyurl.com/ccou5
=20
This is a straight on view of the action. The brass is shiny. The damper
wires shine. The screws, strings and pins are undamaged and show no =
signs of
rust. The wood is so clean that I find it hard to believe that it is
original, and the felt is like new. Even the bridle straps are in good
condition.
http://tinyurl.com/7k7sl
=20
This is the bass bridge. Obviously new. Not a scratch or crack anywhere.
http://tinyurl.com/8nnfe
=20
This is the treble bridge. Again, obviously new. Not a scratch or crack
anywhere. I'm surprised, though, at the older look of the pins.
http://tinyurl.com/8xmmv
=20
This is the plate and pinblock and all that stuff. Look how clean =
everything
is.
http://tinyurl.com/dr5jj
=20
And finally, the soundboard. Is this new, or has just been expertly
restored?
http://tinyurl.com/djssr
=20
=20
I'm looking forward to your comments and suggestions.
=20
=20
-- Geoff Sykes
-- Assoc. Los Angeles