electronic pitch source

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Sun, 08 Jan 2006 15:00:11 +0100

Hi Ed...

I've seen a lot of folks through the years do exactly this, and used to
use this exact same for many years.  I dont think I'd go so far as to
say these folks dont know how to tune a piano.  True, you have to take
into consideration that  you are dealing with a 5:2  coincident.  And
that leaves A4's fundemental at very slightly less then 440. Tuning A3
to a tight 4:2 octave leaves you very very close indeed. If you then
want that same octave wider as part of your stretch... A4 is quickly
enough retuned.

But this just means that many tuners throughout the world are happy
enough with floating concert pitch within about a third of a cent window
or so..  which I personally dont have a big problem with.

Cheers
RicB

Marshall

If someone taught you to check A4 with F3, they don't know how to tune
a piano.

Do you know the overtone series? (Also called partial series)
Do you know what coincident partials are?
These are the first things you need to know. If you know them, y
ou can figure out almost every problem of tuning for yourself. If you
don't know them, you won't really understand the answers, even if someone
gives you the right answer.