Damper Assembly Upgrade

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sun, 8 Jan 2006 12:31:40 EST

Hi Jon
     All good stuff as usual. Commetns  below

  A few years ago, I replaced the damper felt on a '20's B.
There were  no springs...I figured...must be OK if S&S says so.
Well, it wasn't,  insufficient damping. Yanked out all the dampers.
Removed the tray and  installed springs with the felt blocks.
Problem solved. Same scenario on a  "rebuilt" 7' Baldwin recently.

   I've had the same experience

Consider  replacing the guide bushings as well.
    I agree  ---always

I also like to place the pivot pins along the  center pin line. Although, Don
M. pointed out, tests indicated that an offset  pivot was better for
half-pedalling.
  Who tested it & on what?  I've  had  many  extremely talented  & articulate
players  use My D in many concerts with no such result or complaint. Many
types of music  as well.
   I do advocate the use of 2 coils springs on the  tray for quick & certain
return in favor of just one........usually.

A while ago I posted a nifty retro-fit  for the pitman  which required
no drilling.
   No photo on my post. Can you repost it ? Sounds  slick
  Thanks
  Dale

Attached is a photo of the parts. The rod is cut from an  old pedal rod. The
blocks are glued to the tray bottom and trap lever and  positioned for
the travel.
No need to remove the felt bushing  in the keybed.
No guess work on drilling for pins in the ends of a  dowel.
The rod is cut to a length such that when combined with the  blocks,
the dimension equals the old pitman length plus leather  rests.
Just remove pitman, scrape off leather and install...simple.
--

Regards,

Jon Page