YES YES YES was NO NO NO

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Sun, 08 Jan 2006 23:06:39 +0100

Alan... in attempt to bring the discussion back into the purely topical
arena I submit the following comments.

/
2. Interesting comment about things written in stone (if you write in
stone are you, by definition, a chisler?). I would simply ask this
question: Would you ever teach a new tuner to use F3 in setting the A?
Or would you follow the example of Vigil Smith, Geo. Defenbaugh, Art
Reblitz, and everyone else I know of, and just teach F2 because it is
more accurate?/
-------------------------

What we decide to start out teaching someone and why is a completely
different thing then declaring there is only one way to do things Alan.
As for who teaches what... let me just quote directly from the book
"Basic Piano Technology" which is the book given out to all who attend
the Yamaha Acadamy. Yamahas piano bible as it were.

"Setting the Fundamental pitch:
1. Comare the note A37 to the tone of the tuning fork, and manipulate
the tuning hammer to produce a no beat condition as in unison tuning.
The tone A 37 is correctly tuned if the rate of the beats produced by
the two tuning forks of 440 and 442, and that of the beats produced by
the note A37 and the tuning fork of 442 are the same.

2: Set the pitch of A37 using the tuning fork in the same way as
described in method 1. Check to see whether the rate of beats produced
by the major 3rd (A37 and F33) and that of the beats produced by the
tuning fork and the note F33 are the same. In another way the note A37
can be tuned later by setting the beat rate of A37 and F33 to that of
the tuning fork and F33

3: Adjust the beats produced by the tuning fork and the note D30 to a
comfortable speed (3-4 beats/second). Tune A37 so that the beat speed of
the tuning fork and D30 is the same as the fifth A37-D30, and a beatless
condition is achieved between the tuning fork and A37. An octave of A49
can be used instead of D30."

----------------------------

They dont even mention the F2/A4 bit.

I know we each would like to believe our own methods or those we have
learned are the ones and onlys that are bests... but it really isnt so.
What will get you home is to find out what method works best for you by
practice and by gaining understanding of what you are doing. Some folks
have less trouble dealing with same beat speeds and beatless tactics...
others naturally work better with slightly off speed or very slight
beating tactics. There have been so many approaches written about down
time its absurd really... and no doubt you can contrive your own. Some
use coincidents purposefully, others like David Anderson have more
wholistic approaches. In anycase methods abound and all can be used
equally succesfully I have no doubt.

-------------------------

/3. Remember that this whole discussion started with a newbie trying to
find his way. If our comments on setting the silly A haven't confused
him, I'm surprised. So I said just let it be a rule. If someone wants to
make exceptions to "rules" or common and proven practices—and they truly
understand what they are doing and why—I have no quarrel.
/
----------------------------------
I think by now it should have been adequately shown that your perception
of what are common and proven practices is somewhat in error compared to
whats really out there in the world. And if there is any one
generalization of advice that should be give.... it is exactly to come
to "truly understand what you are doing and why". That more then any
single method will quarantee success.

/4. Since this discussion has been hashed over so often, and since
science supports the "rule", and since it is so universally published
and taught correctly, i.e. F2 or B1, I didn't see this as matter of
hair-splitting or debate, and certainly not one for contention. I was
surprised that anyone would even pick up my comments as starting point
for a debate!
/
Science supports no such rule... period. And it is not univerally
published and taught as I've just shown.... from the first book at hand
mind you. And I think you can expect debate from several corners any
time you hold up a "one way brother" flag.

/5. To quote Joe out in Origani, "Sheesh."
/
Grin... well on that point at least we agree.

/Alan Barnard
Salem (It Means "Peace"), Missouri
/
Cheers