Lovely Birdcage, (Over Damper!)......

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Sun, 8 Jan 2006 14:18:07 -0800

Geoff said: "
I had my first birdcage yesterday. I think I lucked out. Yeah, difficult =
work on, but considering it is probably over 100 years old the thing =
looked
practically new. A Carl H. Hintz, made in Germany. I could not find a =
serial
number but a medallion on the fall board says 1900. See below for links =
the photos I took.
=20
The woman who owns this piano inherited if from her mom about 30 years =
ago.
She says that her family purchased it from it's previous owner when she =
was
six. My guess is that translates to about 50 years ago. The current =
owner
has played it but claims she has never had it tuned or any other work
performed on it since she took ownership 30 years ago. Had I not already
seen this piano before agreeing to work on it I might have had second
thoughts about the job. But the thing is gorgeous and I wanted to add
birdcage experience to my accomplishments.=20
=20
The piano is clean and in incredibly good shape. It's obvious that =
sometime
just prior to my customer receiving the piano some major work was done =
on
it. New strings, pins, bridges, hammers, felts etc. Since it has been =
played
for 30 years the hammers need reshaping but all the rest of the felt is
almost like new.=20
=20
Aside from sharing the photos of this piano I also have a couple of
questions. The only thing apparently NOT replaced or repaired on this =
piano
was the pinblock. Which actually sort of makes sense. And while it is
unquestionably on the loose side it will actually, just barely, hold a
tuning. For how long...?=20
=20
Even a good piano, after 30 years, is not going to sound even remotely =
good.
This one definitely sounded dreadful. A4 was at 409. I was advised by a
couple of techs NOT to attempt a pitch raise but to just bring it into =
tune
wherever it already was. They said that the piano was never designed to =
be
tuned to 440 and chances are the soundboard and/or plate could sustain
damage if I tried to bring it up to that. I brought it up to 415 only
because that was as low as I could get PRCT to go. And it held. And she =
was
happy.
=20
Question 1: Given the overall great condition of the rest of the piano, =
is
it a candidate for a thin CA glue treatment to the pins to improve =
tuning
stability?

Question 2: Should the answer to question 1 be yes, what pitch should =
this
piano realistically be tuned to?
=20
The owner is willing to put "some" money into making it play better =
because
even in tune the worn hammers make it sound pretty funky. Is it worth =
it? In
fact, what do you people think this piano is worth?
=20
The following photos are for reference to my above questions, and your
enjoyment.
=20
This is a front view of the piano, with everything in place. I noticed =
that
the left and right panels had the screw holes filled where the =
candelabras
used to be. Had I not looked really closely I never would have noticed.=20
http://tinyurl.com/82gst
=20
This is a close up of the center of the front panel. The flowers are
engraved into the wood.=20
http://tinyurl.com/b99ac
=20
The fallboard had two medallions on either side of a nameplate casting. =
Here
is the left medallion.
http://tinyurl.com/dxvgn
=20
Here is the nameplate casting.
http://tinyurl.com/8rbra
=20
And here is the right medallion, showing the date of 1900.
http://tinyurl.com/ccou5
=20
This is a straight on view of the action. The brass is shiny. The damper
wires shine. The screws, strings and pins are undamaged and show no =
signs of
rust. The wood is so clean that I find it hard to believe that it is
original, and the felt is like new. Even the bridle straps are in good
condition.
http://tinyurl.com/7k7sl
=20
This is the bass bridge. Obviously new. Not a scratch or crack anywhere.
http://tinyurl.com/8nnfe
=20
This is the treble bridge. Again, obviously new. Not a scratch or crack
anywhere. I'm surprised, though, at the older look of the pins.
http://tinyurl.com/8xmmv
=20
This is the plate and pinblock and all that stuff. Look how clean =
everything
is.
http://tinyurl.com/dr5jj
=20
And finally, the soundboard. Is this new, or has just been expertly
restored?
http://tinyurl.com/djssr
=20
=20
I'm looking forward to your comments and suggestions.
=20
=20
-- Geoff Sykes
-- Assoc. Los Angeles
=20

Geoff,
Having seen the pictures, My gut reaction is: there is nothing New in that piano, although it is unusual in that it says 1900 on it.
The Germans, for the most part, only made Over Damper pianos from about 1870 to 1880. Then they gave it up for lack of a market. I have seen several like this, but were from the aforementioned date(s). The case style is definately NOT of the 1900 period of German piano making, so I'd say it was a "specially made" one. The Atlas says little other than to infer that it was a "custom" shop. So that would make more sense as to it's period of manufacture.
As to the pitch to tune it at?......Since the German piano wire was light years ahead of anyone else, it is/would be safe to tune it at 440cps. However, if you want to be ultra safe, I'd say that the International Pitch of A=435cps is the way to go. The overall structure/construction/workmanship of German uprights is quite rugged compared to the English counterparts. Look at the plate. It is massive compared to English types!
As for the CA glue? Yes!

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I