Lacquer thiunner or starter fluid vs.111 trichloroethane for cleaning parts and bushing cloth..

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Sun, 8 Jan 2006 16:29:51 -0800 (PST)

I've done a lot of players, and have found lacquer
thinner to be very good for verdigris removal (
soaking valves in gallon paint cans of the stuff ),
so I wonder why you'd use
111 trichloroethane ???  Soaking the wippens in
lacquer thinner also ought to rinse out whatever it
was that Steinway used as a lubricant which reacts
with the center pins and causes the verdigris, and to
dissolve a lot of the exterior dirt without
sandblasting or using the Super-Clean (TM) method.
    Super-Clean (TM) truly works wonderfully, but is
probably not a good idea on a fine grand. I use it
primarily for filthy, unavailable player piano wippens
where a little distortion of the center pin bore is
not a crisis. I'd be worried about grain-induced
"ovalization" of this hole on a fine "hand-play"
piano.
     I'd put as many wippens into a metal gallon paint
cans as I could, fill them up and let them soak for a
day. Then I'd shake them  around and pour the dirty
thinner into other cans through a strainer.
     Starting fluid ( ether ) is also less nasty than
111 trichloroethane. I have used it to blast out
centers
( it comes with that groovy little red tube ) and it
seems to work quite well.
    I have some REALLY gooey and moldy Steinway
wippens to experiment on, so I'll try a few things and
report what seems to work best.

Just $16.99/mo. or less.
dsl.yahoo.com