Alan and David on F3/A4

ed440@mindspring.com ed440@mindspring.com
Mon, 9 Jan 2006 13:40:26 -0500 (EST)

Kent-

Two or three comments.

In my tests last night the Walker forks showed the least variance in the second partials, and frequently showed zero or slight inharmonicity.

But looking at my list of readings, I see that I did extra readings on the nickel plated Walker, and there is perhaps a heat-induced rise on the last readings, where I used very long ring times.  I discounted these readings last night because I used just the first six readings on all forks.

Second: When I set Pianalyzer at A5, it is almost impossible to get an air reading at 880hz (sometimes the Walkers give a reading in air), attempts to get a reading by holding the side of the handle against the case vary, and readings taken with the tip of the handle standing on the Cybertuner case almost always read, but the results are not consistant from one reading to the next.  Sometimes 5 or 6 higher partials are reported, sometimes none, with the same fork.

This supports a hypothesis that the 880hz signal is caused by up and down movement of the handle as the prongs move side to side at 440hz.  It has been suggested that because of this, we should not hold the fork against the case for resonance, as it will amplify the 880hz signal.

Third: But is this what we hear when we play F3 against the fork? Or is it an interaction of 440hz from the fork with 880hz from F3? Can anyone answer this?

I concur with your conclusion:Use F2 as a test note; then you don't need to answer these questions!

Ed Sutton