Lovely Birdcage Piano

Jurgen Goering pianoforte@pianofortesupply.com
Tue, 10 Jan 2006 21:28:45 -0800

At the risk of raising the ire of the upper partial dissectors hard at=20=

work on this list, I'd like to add to and prolong the overdamper thread=20=

  :^)

[ Disclaimer: I hope I am not starting to look like the Houdini of=20
overdampers here, I  simply have no fear of them and so I see more than=20=

the average technician, and I am merely expressing my opinion.]

Joe Garrett wrote:
>  The "after-ring" is intentional!!!! Do NOT try to "improve" the=20
> damping of Over-Damper Pianos....EVER! These instruments were made to=20=

> sound like "ancient" instruments, only louder and a larger compass.=20
> Please do not fall into that pit. Attempting to "Improve" the damping=20=

> will be a road of major frustrations and failure.

	I don't think this is really the case.  While it is true, of =
course,=20
that tastes and expectations of piano tone and performance have shifted=20=

over time, I would speculate the better overdamper pianos (of the day)=20=

indeed tried to sound contemporary - after all, they were competing=20
against underdamper pianos already (I am talking 1880s + )

  	 When I encounter a 100 year old underdamper piano with leaky =
dampers=20
and tubby bass strings, I always assume the instrument didn't sound=20
this way when it was new.  (That is why we rebuild them.)   Similarly,=20=

on overdamper pianos the after-ring is surely several times more than=20
it originally was.

	It is often fairly easy to get rid of at least half of the =
after-ring,=20
which probably gets the piano sounding a lot closer to what it was=20
supposed to sound like.  An easy test for the potential of damping=20
improvement is to push the overdamper assembly in toward the strings=20
and compare the after-ring to the original state.  Usually, damping=20
improves considerably.  Often, the overdamper assembly can be brought=20
in a bit closer to the strings with the center support.  If not, the=20
action "holders" (rarely are they brackets as we know them) can be=20
shimmed to tilt the action in a bit.   Of course, this is more of a=20
make-it-work measure than a "proper" repair, but it works.   (and I=20
don't have the gall to sell a two thousand dollar reconditioning job on=20=

a piano like that.)
	 In many cases, the damper felts (being end grain felt - see =
below)=20
have compressed and the damper wire lift buttons are resting on the=20
wippen - essentially the same effect as damper arms resting on the=20
spoons of an underdamper action.  A huge improvement can be made in=20
short order by adjusting the damper wires.

	So, yes - go for it - DO try to improve the damping!   Do we =
have a=20
feud yet, Joe?  :^)

Regarding the felt:

and Joe Garrett wrote:
> I have no problem with replacing the damper felt, as long as it is the=20=

> CORRECT felt, with the CORRECT fiber orientation.<G>

Most often on overdamper actions, the damper felt is END grain felt,=20
i.e. cut ends of the wool fibers are contacting and damping the=20
strings.  If anyone is looking for this kind of felt, I have some in=20
stock.  (I have been told it is quite the job to install new felt and=20
regulate the dampers on these beasties.  But, hey, there is always the=20=

excuse "That's what they were MADE to sound like")

I think that is about all I know on this subject, so I will go away=20
now...

Jurgen Goering
Piano Forte Supply
(250) 754-2440