Looking for certain tools

Porritt, David dporritt@mail.smu.edu
Wed, 11 Jan 2006 09:14:04 -0600

Cy: =20

=20

I've had a Schaff # 86 "universal capstan screw regulator" (page 40 of
their current catalog) for 30 years.  On mine the tip for regulating
"normal" capstans broke off many years ago so I just ground it smooth
and use the other end for the "nut" type of capstans.  It fits several
different sizes of capstans.

=20

dp

=20

David M. Porritt

dporritt@smu.edu

________________________________

From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 8:21 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Looking for certain tools

=20

   CY

     I made one out of a 10mm end wrench.  I had to grind it to make it
fit right.  I then taped it to an 8 inch wooden maple stick for a handle
& works very well.  Low.... Low Tech. I don't hate the hex heads anymore
in fact it's easier to manipulate than the usually kind because of the
lengthy handle

  Dale

	2. Old-style S&S capstan wrenches, open-end wrenches with four
flat faces.=20
	The current ones are U-shaped, and only grip on two sides of the
capstan=20
	(and the arms are too big).
=09
	3. Key button stock.  Schaff and Pianotek list them, but both
are apparently=20
	backordered.
=09
	Thanks!