(careful, it is about temperaments)

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Wed, 11 Jan 2006 17:08:06 +0100

Please show me the "evidence".

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net <mailto:davidlovepianos@comcast.net>

Seems to me you've had several items tossed out at you already.   What
evidence there is, is in the form of such things as were discussed and
written at the time and handed down to us. And of that it seems quite
clear that nearly all that was written fell into two catagories. On the
one had there were those who espoused the colour of keys when tuned to
non ET. There is a myriad of this stuff really.  On the other hand,
there were those who espoused the uniformnimnity of ET apparently for
two reasons... the challenge of accomplishing it, and its tonal
portability.  The now at least 2 centuries of arguing the pros and cons
of ET seem to always fall into those two basic camps.  How could there
ever be an argument in the first place unless there were proponents for
non ET. And what possible reason could they have for being against ET
unless it was because of the tonalities available by avoiding it ?  And
that being so... what should stimulate us to beleive that composers
didnt give a hoot  and were totally unaffected by both the tonalites and
the disscussions at hand ?

I'll leave all the music theory analysis to those of you who wish to
delve into that world for evidences.  For me it seems pretty clear cut.
ET was /is a matter of convenience and one of those mountains to climb
that we humans so love to ascend.  HT's were full of key colours that
not only could be exploited... but humans being what they are.. were
exploited.  After all... we use what is at hand.

Just my view...

Cheers
RicB