The Beat that isnt: was An apology--Ed Sutton

Don pianotuna@yahoo.com
Wed, 11 Jan 2006 14:57:13

Hi Ric,

It is easier to hear beats at coincident partials but resultant tones don't
care a bit about such niceties. Maybe what is being heard is a difference
tone or resultant tone between 873 and 440?

873-440 = 473

This is then creates a further resultant

440-473 = 73

There is certainly "lots" going on in the sample. I wish I had a real time
anaylzer.

At 07:38 PM 1/11/2006 +0100, you wrote:
>    Hi Susan and others.
>Listen to the following wave file which is comprised of 2 sine waves of equal
> strength. Frequencies of 873 and 440 Hz.

>http://www.pianostemmer.no/music/FTHREE.wav

>Now these are sine waves with no overtones per se...  yet there are at least
>2 easily discernible beat rates. This should be proof enough that beat
>relevant beat rates can occur in the absence of coincident partials.

Regards,

mailto:pianotuna@yahoo.com	http://us.geocities.com/drpt1948/

3004 Grant Rd. REGINA, SK, S4S 5G7
306-539-0716 or 1-888-29t-uner