Steinways shank dimensions

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Wed, 11 Jan 2006 16:38:12 EST

DAve
  I find the Abel parts from Brooks to be dimensionally accurate &  they have
several knuckle palcements  >  The center pin  location  has remained
constant, which is important.
  Highly recommend them
  Dale

I have  not usually replaced shanks over the years
when hanging hammers, but am  upgrading this habit.

I am about to embark on my 3rd set of Steinway  shank
replacement.
It has a new set of dimensions.

Center of drop  screw to centre of CP is 19mm
Centre of screw hole to CP is 24mm.

Different then the 1901 A2 I have,
different then a Teflon B done  recently.

My supplier, Pianophile,
has Steinway shanks that measure  17mm and 22mm.

Questions

1)Does this measurement sound  unusual.19-24
2)Just to prove it....can you tell me what
specific model  and age this piano is just from
that measurement.
3) Just exactly how  much grams touch difference does
2mm change make in Steinway's geometry  here when
mismatched.
4) Whom is everybody using for suppliers on this.

I shall be studying my Steinway action geometry.....
Why did they  make the change.

Dave  Renaud