thumping dampers

Jurgen Goering pianoforte@pianofortesupply.com
Thu, 12 Jan 2006 08:21:59 -0800

Firm damper felts which produce a thump have long been a pet peeve of
mine.  To be sure it is in fact the damper felt and not the pedal box,
I like to pull the action to lift and lower the damper tray with my
hand.

Later this year,  I hope to be able to offer new damper felt which has
superior damping characteristics.  I have some samples now which seem
firm enough to hold their shape, yet supple enough to dampen the
strings without a thump.  Felt resilience is the key here.  There are
still some issues regarding the shape and cut of the damper wedges, but
the felt quality and characteristics are truly fantastic.  Small wonder
- it comes from Wurzen.

Jurgen Goering
Piano Forte Supply
(250) 754-2440
info@pianofortesupply.com
http://www.pianofortesupply.com

On Jan 12, 2006, at 6:17 AM, William Monroe wrote:

> I must say  I would be inclined to concur with the pedal being
> excessively
> "thumpy".    I just serviced a Yamaha C1 today.  The thump of the
> dampers was  really quite bothersome.  No amount of limiting the
> damper travel would do
> anything here.  The felts are in quite good condition, but are a bit
> firmer
> than I usually see.
>
> My gut is that to make the thumping end, you'll need new (different)
> damper
> felts.  In my case, it is definitely the damper felts creating the
> noise,
> but I would check to see what kind of shape the felts in the pedal box
> are
> in and how absorbent they are.  I often find poor felts in the pedal
> box can
> contribute to that thumping noise.
>
> Hope you are able to remedy the problem.
>
> Regards,
> William R. Monroe

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available