thumping dampers

antares antares@euronet.nl
Thu, 12 Jan 2006 18:16:47 +0100

Hi,

I recently visited a customer with a Yamaha C2, who has the very same =20=

complaint.
The thump is not normal, and I have not yet encountered this with any =20=

Yamaha grand.
I have examined it, and have come to the conclusion that the Yamaha =20
damper felt is not too hard. It usually is of very good quality anyway.
I think there is too much lead in the damper levers.
All the damper levers, combined with the amount of weight from the =20
lead, gives the heavy thump.

My two funny money cents

On 12-jan-2006, at 7:25, William R. Monroe wrote:

> Well, Rick,
>
> I must say I would be inclined to concur with the pedal being =20
> excessively
> "thumpy."  I just serviced a Yamaha C1 today.  The thump of the =20
> dampers was
> really quite bothersome.  No amount of limiting the damper travel =20
> would do
> anything here.  The felts are in quite good condition, but are a =20
> bit firmer
> than I usually see.
>
> My gut is that to make the thumping end, you'll need new =20
> (different) damper
> felts.  In my case, it is definitely the damper felts creating the =20
> noise,
> but I would check to see what kind of shape the felts in the pedal =20
> box are
> in and how absorbent they are.  I often find poor felts in the =20
> pedal box can
> contribute to that thumping noise.
>
> Hope you are able to remedy the problem.
>
> Regards,
> William R. Monroe

friendly greetings
from