Player Piano Problems

Jon Page jonpage@comcast.net
Fri, 13 Jan 2006 19:07:31 -0500

Justin,
Old player pianos are at the brink of disintegration. Remove a hose or tube and
it is next to impossible to get a tight seal again, they are brittle
and may break
like spaghetti strands if touched.   Of course the owner then blames
you for its
failure because, "It play wonderfully the last time we played it".
Yeah, 20 years ago.

In photos 2 & 3, the hose with the 90 degree flange (elbow) has
enough hose attached
that it looks like it went to something on the stack on top, probably
tracker mechanism or
expression (I'm not familiar with Angelus).

In photo 4, the orphaned elbow may go to the right side of the wind
motor in photo 7.
I didn't see a governor so it is probably integrated into the
reservoir.   But I seriously doubt
that the hose is still flexible to relocate it. If the hoses flex, reconnect.
There's always beginners luck.
But it it does start to operate, it will only show what other things
don't work. Snowball effect.
How big of a can of worms do you want to take on?

The aged cellophane or waxed paper in photos 2, 3 & 4 is an ominous
sign of a botched
repair.

It looks like it still has lad tracker bar tubing.  You can see the
hardened rubber hoses in #3.

player-care.com is a good place to start, also the Mechanical Music
Digest: foxtail.com.

This would be a good time for D.L. to chime in.

You have to be careful with players because you usually have to
disconnect hoses and remove
items in order to tune the piano.  The old brittle hoses and tubes do
not usually make a tight seal
(if they didn't outright break), so it won't "play right" again.  Of
course in the owner's eyes, you
broke it.

If you do take on the frustrating task of tuning a player (God forbid
a Duo Art console), have the
owner put on a roll and play it first to prove that it plays. Then
give the disclaimer that once the
tubing and hoses are removed, they might not seal properly and may
need replacement.  (You'll
often find the flanges wrapped with masking tape to try to seal the
frozen-formed, petrified rubber
hose ends.
--

Regards,