Freebees

John Musselwhite john@musselwhite.com
Sat, 14 Jan 2006 11:14:47 -0700

At 09:39 AM 1/13/06 -0500, Phil R. wrote:

>I have a company (and I'm sure you do too) that pesters me to buy chotskys
>such as pens, pencils, keychains, bottle openers etc with my name printed
>on them to give to customers as reminders.  Other than business cards,
>does anyone  give out anything like this and does it work?

I get pestered by some of those companies too and I thank them for the free
samples, but since my fiancé runs a promotion company that distributes such
items (that she does NOT pester people to buy) I buy them from her even
though I don't get a family discount.  :)

Advertising properly does pay and the government gives you a tax deduction
for it so you might as well use it. I always give away reasonably nice pens
because everyone uses them and people like to get them. If someone asks for
a business card while I'm tuning in churches, hotels or clubs I give them a
pen too plus I always leave one on the piano. Even my bank tellers have
been presented with them and I know at least one gave hers away to someone
who saw it and it reminded her that her piano needed tuning. That one pen
paid for the whole order plus I've gained TWO hopefully regular customers
because she gave the pen to her neighbour. Many of us build our businesses
by word of mouth, and something as simple as this shows that a pen is
mightier than the (s)word, as it were.

Then Susan wrote:

>Really, think about what message you are sending out. Even just a pen with
>your name on it -- "This is someone who was short of work for so long that
>he decided to shell out money for  advertising. Either he is brand new to
>the trade, or his work is bad enough that he doesn't get much repeat
>business. He expects me to throw away his card and forget his name."
>People are naturally polite; they'll respect your professional dignity by
>taking your freebee and thanking you -- but they'll react to the hidden
>message just the same, maybe not even realizing why they aren't really
>sure they want you back.

I have to respectfully disagree with Susan, though her argument might be
valid in some places and with some people. You could apply that same logic
to "reminder cards" or phone calls or even a sign on your car. If doctors,
lawyers, accountants and pharmacists can discretely promote their
businesses with things like giving away pens then why can't we? Is there
something intrinsically wrong with keeping your name out in the open
instead of being shut inside a piano, bench or drawer?

                 John