100 year old piano, or close to it

David Nereson dnereson@4dv.net
Mon, 16 Jan 2006 01:58:17 -0700

>>> It's not the recording -- the pianos sound out of tune because they
>>>

>ARE out of tune.  >>
>
>      It may be strange to hear a tuner say that there is no such thing as
>out of tune, just the wrong venue for the sound, but . . . . .
>
>Ed Foote RPT
>http://www.uk-piano.org/edfoote/index.html
>www.uk-piano.org/edfoote/well_tempered_piano.html

    Yes, I know, and that was a great post, but the isolated instances
where The Doors, Dr. John, or whoever, wanted a certain type of
out-of-tuneness for a certain effect was not what I was talking about.
I was talking about plain-ol' neglect and tightwaddedness on the part of
studios and bar owners.  The out of tune piano on the one particular Art
Tatum record I referred to was painfully, not purposely, out of tune.
It did not help the recording; being in tune would have.  And there are
many others, but I'd have to pore through my two thousand-odd jazz
records to find them.   --Dave Nereson, RPT