100 year old piano, or close to it

David Nereson dnereson@4dv.net
Mon, 16 Jan 2006 02:08:04 -0700

David Andersen wrote:

>  . . . . . . I'm starting to understand that in some pop music the
> artist or producer WANTS the piano to sound kind of like a 12-string
> guitar pad, more earthy or vulnerable or something---
>
>David Andersen

    Oh sure, and that I can understand.  I think the British blueser
John Mayall had at least a couple tunes where he had a piano specially
de-tuned for a sort of "jnagle piano" effect.  And I know for sure I
could find among my twenty-something friends, who play in the
"industrial noise" and "ambient" genres of contemporary rock (it's not
rock 'n' roll a la Chuck Berry or even the Sex Pistols), someone who
would love the sound of a piano that has one or two strings per unison
in tune to E.T., and another unison string maybe a half-step flat, or an
augmented 4th, or some other "wack" or "cool"-sounding interval,
depending on the effect desired.  They have me save the "harps" (strung
backs) of pianos not worth rebuilding for them to use as percussion
instruments, tuning be damned.
    --David Nereson, RPT