Working while tuning

pianotune05 pianotune05@comcast.net
Tue, 17 Jan 2006 21:37:13 -0500

Hi Debbie,
Im thinking of relocating to a larger area because it seems that the =
area I live in , South Bend, IN is soooooo saturated with tuners.  I was =
told that piano tuners are cropping up everywhere.  In fact, I mentioned =
this earlier about the woman who is now a postal worker who said that if =
she got calls, she would refer them to me. I get a lot of talk and no =
action, so I just keep up with my current income which isn't much by =
far.  This area is bad for struggling businesses.  Another guy who lives =
in Elkhart IN, whom I know pretty well also said that he's tired of =
driving to South Bend ,8 or 10 miles away grrr, and would refer folks to =
me, so far nothing. =20

We have a great chapter which only meets once every three months.  =
What's that all about? :(  I'm actually considering relocating to a =
larger city which has a chapter that a. I can get to since I don' t =
drive, and b. that meets on a regular basis.  I think that might be my =
best bet. =20
Marshall
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: pianolady50@peoplepc.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 5:23 PM
  Subject: Re: Working while tuning=20

  You need to take a good look at the community in which you will be =
working.  Seems there is always room for one more, but the how to do its =
are the problem.  When I first started out I was in a moderate sized =
metropolitan area in FL.  There were approximately 30 members of the =
local guild chapter.  20, I would say were active.  There were about a =
half dozen non members.  I attended every chapter meeting (I think I =
only missed 5 or so in about 10 years).  I actively participated in the =
chapter, got to know everyone, was treasurer, secretary, worked on =
seminar committees, etc., etc.  My business grew steadily.  Other =
members knew I was serious and began referring customers to me.  Some =
just because I was closer, others because they didn't want the job.  I =
had made it known I would take any job that no one wanted :-).  All I =
had was a yellow page listing.  Mostly it was hard work, good work, and =
patience.  When I decided to relocate to New England, I gave my customer =
list to a new, young tuner.  He has built a full tuning and rebuild =
business for himself.

  Now, at my new location, things are totally different.  I live in a =
community of 7,000.  If you add in the next city, maybe about 25,000.  =
There are two other techs on "the island".   Yep, got to use a bridge to =
get just about anywhere.  One of the techs has been here *forever* and =
has most of the tunings.  In this situation you have to be careful not =
to step on anyone's toes!  I do know a lot of people in my little town =
and they have been very generous in handing out my business cards and =
spreading the word!  I have never asked for this - all their idea.  I =
have magnetic signs on my truck and <cringe> an enlargement of my =
business card (laminated) on the bulletin board at our local grocery.  I =
have only a listing in the yellow pages.  I have been here for three =
years and have almost built the tuning end of the business as large as I =
want it.  Certainly not enough to live on by itself but I don't want =
that anyway.  I also run the key business and rebuild players, etc.  I'd =
say tunings account for 1/3 of my time.

  The common factor for both situations is the willingness to be =
patient.  Building a good business can't be rushed.  If you need to do =
something else for income while you build the business - fine.  As the =
piano business grows, cut back on "the other thing".  And beyond the =
obvious of quality work and such....enjoy what you do!

  Debbie L.