One Piano Per....??

pianotune05 pianotune05@comcast.net
Wed, 18 Jan 2006 15:44:57 -0500

Hi John,
Why is it dishonest to call and schedule to tune a piano?  If the have a =
tuner, they'll tell me, and have told me.  I guess I'm not seeing the =
connection.  I'm offering a service to tune a piano.  As for exploding =
over night, I agree, it won't do that, but in a few weeks woud be OK. =20
Marshall
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: John Formsma=20
  To: Pianotech List=20
  Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 10:23 AM
  Subject: Re: One Piano Per....??

  Marshall,

  This might work short term, but think about how it might affect your =
reputation down the road. I wouldn't want this to happen to me, and =
would feel misled and wouldn't use you again. I think it's a fast way to =
get a shady reputation.

  Regarding churches, why not something like this? Make an appointment =
to meet with the music director PERSONALLY and explain your situation -- =
that you're new and wanting to gain experience. Then ask if you can tune =
some of the older pianos, either for free or a reduced rate. (Around =
here, there are many infrequently tuned pianos that sit in Sunday School =
rooms.) Ask the director to evaluate your work, and negotiate a rate =
correspondent with your abilities. I'm thinking maybe about $25-40 per =
piano, but I'm guessing because I don't know your abilities. This way, =
you at least get some money coming in and/or you are gaining valuable =
experience while getting your foot in the door. And, you will have an =
honest reputation. If you do good work, you will get some referrals =
eventually.=20

  Don't expect your business to explode overnight.

  John Formsma

  pianotune05@comcast.net wrote:=20
    James,=20
    I figure I could get some tunings that way by perhaps catching a few =
off guard.  They'll schedule me and I'm in.  I'd hate to step on toes =
but I guess that's why they make steel tipped shoes.  Look out, =
Marshall's comming!
    Marshall

      -------------- Original message --------------=20
      From: "James Grebe" <pianoman@accessus.net>=20

      > That sounds like a good cold call tactic.=20
      > James=20
      > James Grebe Piano Tuning & Repair Member of M.P.T.=20
      > R.P.T. of the P.T.G. for over 30 years. "Member of the Year" in =
1989=20
      > Creator of Handsome Hardwood Caster Cups, Piano Benches, Writing =

      > Instruments=20
      > (314) 845-8282 1526 Raspberry Lane Arnold, MO 63010=20
      > BECOME WHAT YOU BELIEVE!=20
      > pianoman@accessus.net=20
      > ----- Original Message -----=20
      &! gt;=20