Lightening touch by changing damper timing redux

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Thu, 19 Jan 2006 02:34:11 EST

In a message dated 1/18/2006 9:04:14 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
yardbird@vermontel.net writes:

On Jan 18, 2006, at 11:13 PM, _Piannaman@aol.com_ (mailto:Piannaman@aol.com)
wrote:

I've read  opinions about this where some techs say that changing damper
timing "doesn't really lighten the touch, it only gives that  perception."

Remember of course that when we measure touch weights on a grand action,  the
action is usually on the bench or otherwise separated from the damper
assembly (say, by putting the sustain pedal on). In effect you've made the  action
feel as those the sustain pedal is on, even when it isn't.

True enough, but we're talking about real world playing.   Measuring on the
bench doesn't give an accurate account of what the player  actually feels with
the piano fully assembled.

It's now alot easier to play staccato, but much harder to play legato.  The
conventional damper timing regulation would favor neither of these,  balancing
in the middle between the two of them.

This is what I was initially worried about.  I've heard that said  before, so
I was cognizant of it going in.  I was surprised to find out  that it really
didn't seem to be the case.  Nobody else who played it  noticed any difficulty
in legato playing(or for that matter, greater ease in  playing staccato...).
Believe me, if I'd noticed that it altered the  legato/staccato effects that
much, I'd never have done it the second  time...:-[}

And like a said before, one of the best parts about this operation is that
it's easily reversible.

Dave Stahl (Gumby....?)

Mr. Bill

"Can you check out this middle C?. It "whangs' - (or  twangs?)
    Thanks so much, Ginger"
    ...........Service  Request

Dave  Stahl

Dave Stahl Piano Service