Lightening touch by changing damper timing redux

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Thu, 19 Jan 2006 10:25:46 EST

Davids
   I find the sound to be what I call dry, for the reasons  mentioned, but
the effect becomes greater, especially on forte blows.  The  hammer seems to get
 to the string before the damper gets away  completely
  Dale Erwin

agree  with Ed here.  While it will change the amount of weight at the
point  at which the damper lever is engaged (not before and not with the
damper  pedal employed) the question is whether it's desirable.  In  addition
to the greater difficulty in legato playing, the pianist will  sense a loss
of tonal control at the other end of tone production that we  sometimes
forget about which is the timing of the shut off.  A too  rapid shutoff when
the finger starts to lift makes the piano feel choked  and will actually
change the pianists ability to relax the hand immediately  after the stroke
which can have a negative impact on tone control by  changing the fluid and
flexible feeling in the wrist.  In other words,  it can force an unnatural
technique.  Wouldn't do it.

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net