Soundboard rib question

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Sat, 21 Jan 2006 20:40:18 +0100

That is a thought to be sure. But I think I will be either replacing the
entire soundboard or simply re-ribbing the existing panel. I will be
removing this soundboard in anycase however.  And it will be removed
very carefully so as to not damage the glue joint area of either panel
or rim.  The reason for this is to insure that all the case, rim and
beam structures are tight and solid as can be. After Bolducs lecture in
Stockholm I got convinced this was a good idea.

Heres a couple more pics if you are interested.

Cheers
RicB

Ric-

Another thought: this might be a candidate for epoxy treatment of the
soundboard, as published in the Journal by Del Fandrich a few years
back.  The soundboard looks pretty good in the photos (which makes me
wonder how much it was compressed in manufacture).  I've used the epoxy
coat on small early 20th century pianos with reasonable results,
especially improved sustain in treble.

The soundboard on this piano seems to be looking back toward earlier
German/Austrian instruments.

Times like this I think of the Christofori in the Metropolitan, which
has been called "the world's oldest piano case," since the original
soundboard, pinblock and strings were thrown away in a 1930's rebuild.

Ed

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: slide1.jpg
Type: image/jpeg