(Caution - about Temperaments) Tuning for Jeux d'eau by Ravel.

paul bailey pbailey@sbcglobal.net
Sun, 22 Jan 2006 08:11:46 -0800

Tuning for Jeux d'eau by Ravel.

......"Written on the manuscript by Ravel, and often included on
published editions, is "Dieu fluvial riant de l'eau qui le
chatouille... / Henri de Régnier" which in English editions is
translated to "River god laughing as the water tickles him..."; this
quote is from Régnier's Fête d'eau as a note that the piece is to be
played lightly."   (from Wikipedia)

I think it conveys a great deal more than 'to be played lightly'
(though that is certainly correct!).

This is practically direct orders to play it in a meantone tuning. The
tickling is perfectly expressed in the E major seventh chord, which
immediately provokes the laughter, an A major seventh chord. The laugh
arpeggio's note speed doubles.  A major is the sub-dominant of E: in
sharps keys the sub dominant is a step back down the energy-excitement
scale, so the tickling of the E seventh is acting on the A. The
objective in tickling is to provoke a higher energy state in the one
being tickled, and a burst of laughter; which  'vibrates' faster than
the act of the tickling.  E major has another quality of tickling; the
G#-Eb  diminished sixth, which is the secret special energy source in
the E major seventh that provokes the thirty-second note outburst in
the A major arpeggio. (Think of G#-D# as a fifth that is 15 cents wide,
and tremolos like a third, it's character changing in the different
registers just as
a wide third changes.)

Well, I do have a little 'story' about what pictures and sounds this
tone poem is portraying, I'm reluctant to try to tell the whole story
in words, if only because the picture-sound story is always changing;
the better I play the piece, the clearer the voices are, the more I can
hear them say. The sounds of the music evoke images of fountains and
cascades and pools that produce those sounds.

I will say this: the piece needs to start in E major to have the
variety and contrasts required for the story.  E major is at one
extreme of the eight 'Major Thirds keys and so there are ample
resources both 'up' the energy scale, and also 'down' the energy scale.
And the 'up' harmonic modulation immediately leads to the
quasi-diminished fourth keys.  ( The Major thirds keys are  C, G, D, A,
and E; and F, Bb and Eb. The diminished fourths keys are B, C#, F#,
G#.)  So there are contrasts of Mode, which are great enough to express
the extremes of emotion and physical sensation, and the contrast
between air and water. Example; ever see somebody laughing so hard it's
really not clear whether they're laughing or crying?  Tickling can be
everything from friendly to provocative to cruel.

The last, biggest cascade falls into a pool, carrying air with the
water deep Deep DEEP and then the air explodes upward into foam, and
the wavelets
spread out in larger circles as the energy subsides. F# Major (a
diminished fourth key) and C Major (the purest Major third key) can't
get away from each other - it's a 'resolution' that doesn't resolve at
all, except as the two extremes work it out; but they never quite do
work it out. Notice this is the only section in the piece where an
'odd' number of rhythmic impulses defines a section: the rising and
falling patterns of arpeggios in this long unmeasured gesture happen 43
times. The sounds of F# and C are essential to this - perhaps F# being
the 'air' and C being the 'water'. The F#-A# diminished fourth is
pretty wide (about twice as wide as an 'ET' third) - which gives it a
great variety of expressions in the different registers of the
keyboard. In the lowest bass it's tremolo slow but insistent; an octave
higher it has a pleasing vocal vibrato effect, another octave and it
becomes irritating, above that it becomes like a siren. But C major it
pure, that purity is much more the same in all registers.  What better
to express the difference between air and water?

The last eight bars sound like the brook disappearing into the
distance. The tickling fades away, and the last we hear is the E-B
fifth (a quiet fifth, nearly pure) in the bass, and the G#-D#(Eb)  wolf
fifth in octave 6-7, where it's tickling characteristic has passed out
of view, So we have relief from the tickling that started it all in the
beginning, but it's still there.....

Paul Bailey