broken Steinway lyre braces

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Sun, 22 Jan 2006 10:35:45 -0600

>      The Steinway lyre system is easily the most solid pedal assembly I have
> seen.  Its rigidity and connection with the instrument are what they are
> because of its construction.

Absolutely - a fine solid system.

>I wish all pianos would take the trouble and expense
> to put performance first.

Me too, including Steinway - or are you only including lyres here?
Rhetorical question, never mind.

>I have yet to see a screwed on bracket stand up to
> heavy use without loosening.

I've patched and repaired more chewed up Steinway lyres, brackets,
and key beds, at greater time spent and expense incurred,  than the
sum of all the screwed on braces I've encountered through the years.

>      The Steinway system is also simple to install, no need for extra arms.
> Just a simple wooden wedge will hold the pedal box up so that the plates are
> engaged while you install the sticks.  It is then a piece of cake to simply
> hold the una corda lever out of the way and slide the whole thing back 1 inch.
> This is easy and the results are bullet-proof.
> Ed Foote RPT

I seldom have my standard simple wooden lyre installation wedge in
my tool case when the opportunity for lyre installation arises. I
find a handy hymnal (height adjustable in approximately 0.004"
increments), screwdriver (round wedge), or whatever is available, to
work fine too. I've put plenty of them on freehand as well without
having to use my tail (other than to sit on it).

Ron N