Stable Schiedmayer (Kawai built)

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Sun, 22 Jan 2006 11:47:07 EST

Ron,

Thanks for the detailed response.  I appreciate the time it took for  you to
write it.

Dave S.

In a message dated 1/21/2006 1:11:04 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
rnossaman@cox.net writes:

>  Anyone willing/able to state the ABCs of logarithmic and/or
>  semi-logarithmic piano string scaling? What kind of scaling is Ron N,
>  and Del using?
Look at the scale breaks where the struts are. You'll often  find the
break% changing substantially across that scale break. That's
because the log progression was disrupted because the bridge wasn't
dog-legged enough to maintain the progression. So the break% goes
high  on one side, and/or low in the other. Lower break% means
greater pitch  change with overall string length changes. In other
words, a uniform  break% across a scale break will stay in tune much
better. So to figure a  smooth log progression from C-8, down to a
spot in the scale were you  still like the break% figure, do this.
You start with the top end. Say you  want C-8 to be 54mm long. That's
your basis. Then choose a unison down  scale having a length and
break% you think you like. Break% is determined  from frequency and
length. A  string at a given length and frequency  will have (about)
the same break% whatever gage wire is on it. Once you  have both ends
of your log progression chosen - C-8 (#88) at 53mm, and  say, C-3
(#28), at 1220mm, use something like this to calculate each  speaking
length between the two  targets.

=EXP(((88-Un)*((LN(1220)-LN(53))/(88-28)))+LN(53))

If  you had chosen C-8 (#88) at 54mm, and E-3 (#32) at 1024mm, you'd
have

=EXP(((88-Un)*((LN(1024)-LN(54))/(88-32)))+LN(54))

So:
exp(LN(length  of 88)+ increment) = #87
exp(LN(length of 87)+ increment) =  #86
exp(LN(length of 86)+ increment) = #85, etc.

Then build the  bridge to maintain the progression across the scale
breaks. This will give  you a nice smooth break% progression. Tension
is adjusted by changing wire  size as necessary.

>I know sometimes in Del's scale designs, he  will have
> the long bridge (some factor of it) follow the  semi-logarithmic
> progression (or is it logarithmic?), but then he  will abandon that on
> the bass bridge - I think because of physical  limitations of the
> soundboard/plate, etc. - what's that all about?  What are some of the
> ramifications of all that?

On the bass  bridge, you have more options. You can juggle tension,
break%, Impedance  (Z), and inharmonicity without being tied to the
length and pitch  determining break%, as is the case with plain wire.
Want to raise break%?  Use a smaller diameter core. Want more tension
and a higher Z? increase  wrap diameter.

> If many manufacturers don't follow a log or  semi-log progression on
> their long bridges, what do they follow?  (Watch out, there may be some
> worms in that can!)

They follow  the leader, I guess. There is a notion that the
footprint of the bridge  should be as straight as possible to not
(presumably) impede the rocking  motion of the bridge and kill the
sound. So to obtain this supposed  benefit across the break, the log
progression, tension, Z, break% (and  tuning stability), and
inharmonicity curves are compromised. It's also  considerably easier
to bend a bridge that doesn't have the extreme doglegs  necessary to
maintain the log progression. Sometimes, they split the  difference,
bringing bridge pin row spacing down to under 10mm at the  break to
try to fit the log progression on a too straight bridge. They
haven't adopted your trick of just ending laminations at the
doglegs,  apparently fearing the sound will leak out the end grain.
Personally, I  build in the dogleg, and end laminations at same. If
the jog in the  footprint kills the sound, and what's left over leaks
out the open ended  laminations, I like the effect and plan to keep
doing it.

Ron  N

Dave  Stahl

Dave Stahl Piano Service