Can anything be done with a '"Teflon Steinway", short of actionreplacement ?

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Mon, 23 Jan 2006 13:57:13 -0800

If you can't do a total rebuild, then replace the hammer shanks with 17 mm
knuckles and you may be able to remove some lead as well as get a lighter
BW.  Unfortunately, the key ratios are often poor on these instruments but
that will help.  The shanks that are on there are probably 16mm.  Reuse the
original hammers if they won't spring for new.  Can be done in about 8 - 12
hours if you're organized.

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of gordon stelter
Sent: Monday, January 23, 2006 1:37 PM
To: joegarrett@earthlink.net; Pianotech List
Subject: Can anything be done with a '"Teflon Steinway", short of
actionreplacement ?

Dear Everyone,
    I play almost daily now on a 70's "L" in the lobby
of a  fancy hotel, and the "Teflon Action" is killing
me! Too heavy, clumsy feeling, uneven, etc.. I have
replaced a couple of these, but wonder what
alternative steps might help this thing, in case the
management doesn't want to spring for a full
replacement.

    Thanks!