Humidistat for Wood conditioning box

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Mon, 23 Jan 2006 19:41:00 -0500

FWIW, that is the difference between accuracy and precision.

Dean
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272
Terre Haute IN  47802

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Ron Nossaman
Sent: Monday, January 23, 2006 6:33 PM
To: Pianotech List
Subject: Re: Humidistat for Wood conditioning box

> I found this humidistat that I would use for a wood conditioning box
> that seems to be fairly good but expensive ($290).  Anyone have any
> experience with it or can you suggest one that works as well for less
> $$$.  It’s the RHC that I’m looking at—scroll down to the second unit.

> http://www.greenair.com/humidistat.htm
>
> David Love

If you're conditioning wood for soundboard building, +-5%RH is
pretty miserable accuracy. If you set it at 30%RH and 90°F looking
for 6%MC, you could get anywhere from 5.2%-6.7%. Of course, if
that's just calibration accuracy, and repeatability within a narrow
range is good (which they never seem to think is important enough to
mention) you can offset the reading and be pretty close. I assume
that's what the mentioned 5% "set differential" is for. So even a
cheap humidistat can work well if it makes the same mistake with
dependable repeatability.

Ron N