Center pin friction, yet again.

Tue, 24 Jan 2006 09:36:04 -0500

The recent questions about teflon, along with recent observations in the
field and conversation with David Kirkland at Steinway, (not to mention
perusing past posts), have left me unclear as to the frictional tolerances
(primarily) at the hammer flange centers.  I acknowledge that there is
likely extensive information in the archives, to which I would be happy to
be directed, and that I have not recently attended any classes where these
issues might have been discussed.  That said, is there any consensus
regarding the ultimate effects of the difference between "0 grams, without
any sideplay", and whatever measurement might provide the "traditional" 5-7
swings (of the hammer)?

It's hard for me to accept the idea that such a dramatic difference is of
so little consequence.

David Skolnik