Bass String Installation

Thomas Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Thu, 26 Jan 2006 22:25:13 -0800

John Dorr wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Thanks for your replies regarding removing all bass strings.  I was
> hoping it'd be ok to do it that way.  It really seems the BEST way.  I
> guess I just wondered because on the Areldge site page about
> installing the new strings (
> http://www.pianostrings.com/howtoinstall.html ) it says to remove no
> more than four at a time.
>
> I wonder why they'd say that?

The last time I changed bass strings only (Yamaha C3), I did one note at
a time. I didn't have to retune the rest of the piano when I was done.
Another time I removed all the bass strings first (Yamaha G2), then
restrung. It really affected the tuning of the tenor section.

The best way to do it would depend upon certain factors but I wouldn't
worry about plate breakage.

Tom Cole