GAINING CONFIDENCE FOR MARSHAL

ronmay_rpt@bellsouth.net ronmay_rpt@bellsouth.net
Fri, 27 Jan 2006 9:39:39 -0500

Hi Marshall and all you other associates

When and if you get involved with your PTG group. Get together with one of your old RPT tuners, someone that has tuned at least 10 years. Have them listen tO your tuning and if they say you are any where ready, go spend the (I Think $90.00) and take the RPT tuning exam. The people giving the exam have only your interest at heart and it will be the best money you have spent learning your trade. Don't expect to pass it the first time through. Look at it as a learning experience. As I recall about half fail it the first time. But you will come out of the testing knowing your weak and strong areas. In other words the areas that you need to concentrate.  When you pass the exam you will receive a burst of confidence the likes of which is hard to describe.  You will probably find as I and many other RPTs have discovered your income will immediately jump for no other reason than the confidence you eminate and have in yourself. YOU ASSOCIATED THAT ARE JUST DRAGGING YOUR FEET ARE HURTING NO ONE BUT YOURSELVES.

As for phone solicitation, I have done my share. It isn't fun. I don't like it when someone calls me cold. I usually just hang up and it is deflating for the one making the call.But remember Marshall, It isn't a cold call if someone else opens the door for you such as ("HELLO MRS JONES, THIS IS MARSHALL, I JUST TUNED A PIANO FOR YOUR FRIEND MRS. SMITH AND SHE TOLD ME YOU HAVE A PIANO AND MAY NEED TO HAVE IT TUNED. IF THAT IS SO, COULD i HELP YOU WITH THAT.") The phone call is no longer cold Mrs. Smith told you to call.

Another trick I used in the beginning was to go to the criss cross directory at the library and write down the names and address of four or five homes around that ones that I would be tuning.  I would then either call them or send them a card telling them I was going to be in the area. There were times that I tuned three pianos on one street in a given day.

As the man said "Have a Plan and Work the Plan.

Good Luck Marshal  We are all watching you.

Ron May,RPT  (AND VERY PROUD OF IT)