frequent tuning - floating pitch? was tuning

John Formsma john@formsmapiano.com
Sat, 28 Jan 2006 07:16:43 -0600

Jason,

I float the pitch all the time. Stability is my goal rather than having the
piano "dead-on" A440 all the time.

Here's the typical scenario.it's winter now and the piano is 4-5 cents flat
in the bass, -12 in the tenor, and -5 in the treble. So, I do a one-pass
tuning to A439. This way, in the summer, things will be a bit sharp of A440.
If you pitch correct all the time, the piano is not as stable. In the
summer, when the piano is sharp, I'll tune to A440 or A441, whichever will
give the best stability.

Now, if the piano is in a church that uses other instruments, it gets tuned
to A440. However, in certain less "critical" situations, I'll get within 2
cents of A440 depending on the season. Most people don't ever notice that
difference. Again, the goal is stability rather than being at A440 all the
time.

>From the perspective of most customers, they want a piano in tune with
itself, and don't really care if it's at A439 or A441. They do care about
paying extra for pitch corrections every season to have it right at A440. If
I see other instruments like a guitar or violin near the piano, I'll ask the
customer's preference first. Yes, I do offer DC systems.

John Formsma

  _____