action clicking sound

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Sun, 29 Jan 2006 12:44:11 -0800

Dave,
I would switch parts from an adjacent, non-clicking note.   By trial an=
d error you should be able to determine which part of the assembly is p=
roblematic and work from there.   If the click continues with hammer/sh=
ank/flange changed and wippen changed it might be in the key?    Also p=
ull up the damper for the clicking not so it is not engaged and see if =
that stops the click, in which case it might be in the damper assembly.=
...let us know what you find.

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, California

Original message
From: "Dave McKibben"
To: Pianotech
Subject: action clicking sound

I need some wisdom:

I am working on a Schafer & Sons G-3 Grand piano that has two keys that=
 have a 'clicking' sound.
The clicking sound is not there when you play pp but is there with mf a=
nd up.

What I did so far:
Took the whippens out and visually inspected.  Did not see anything obv=
ious and no missing felts.
Regulate the action on those keys ( which were way off prior to inspect=
ion ).
The jack is a little off to one side of the repetition lever window, bu=
t not more than many other keys that dont have a click.
Lifted the damper up and held it while I played the key..... it still c=
licks

One comment:
The click sounds like a wooden click ( I'm not saying it is, just sound=
s like it ), but if I deaden the tricord strings with my finger, the lo=
ud click does not sound.  The hammers do sound a little hard and make a=
 good ' thud ' when they hit the deadened strings.

Does anyone have any ideas on what could be making the click, and what =
I could look for ???
Many thanks to you all in advance.
I really appreciate the opportunity to ask these type questions and get=
 feedback from those with far more experience than myself.

Dave McKibben

DavesPianotuning@earthlink.net
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~davespianotuning/
858-776-2516