SAP and NAMM

John Formsma john@formsmapiano.com
Mon, 30 Jan 2006 19:59:30 -0600

At our recent Memphis PTG chapter guild meeting, we had Dave Campbell
present a technical. He also gave some insight into Pearl River. Early on,
as most of us know, P.R. didn't have that great of a reputation in the U.S.,
although they have been in the piano biz for quite a few years. What the
Chinese didn't realize at first is that the climate in other markets is not
the same as in China. Because of that, the U.S. instruments suffered from
the maladies that we have observed. Now, those things have been corrected,
and the pianos are supposed to be good quality.

I haven't seen any of the new ones from Guangzhou, so I don't have firsthand
experience to pass on. But this is what Dave said. I expect the Chinese will
be a dominant force in the piano industry, just as Yamaha, Kawai, and others
have been. They all had to go through their learning curves.

John Formsma

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Nichols
Sent: Sunday, January 29, 2006 10:02 PM
To: Pianotech List
Subject: Re: SAP and NAMM

At 11:04 PM 1/29/2006 +0100, you wrote:
>Hi Guy,
>
>But when it's a Pearl River we are talking about... it certainly makes it
>more difficult to see the beauty in it... :)

Really? I don't agree. Not that I'm promoting Pearl River, but they're
getting the bugs worked out and it's just very exciting to think about the
state of piano production in China, since most of it is for domestic
market. It seems like so many of the manufacturers are honestly trying to
make a better piano. Cool.