Whether the weather?

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 31 Jan 2006 04:49:06 -0500

Climate
.........................................................................=

The largest part of China is in a moderate zone with clearly =
recognizable seasons. The country has great climatic differences =
resulting from the monsoon, the expanse of the land mass, and the =
considerable differences in altitude. While it is generally warm and =
humid in south - eastern and central China, the north and north east are =
relatively dry. The best times for traveling are spring (May) and autumn =
(September and October) . China stretches across 35 degree of latitude, =
resulting in a great variation of regional climates. In many areas, the =
summer is hot and rainy, with a high level of humidity, while the winter =
is dry. In northern China, more than 80 percent of rainfall occurs in =
the summer months, but only 40 percent of the annual rainfall occur in =
southern China during this season. There are frequent typhoons in south =
east China during the rainy season, between July and September. North of =
the Yangzi, the winter can be extremely cold. The northern regions, =
particularly , show a clear alteration of the four seasons.=20
The north-east has hot, dry summers and long, cold winters. Summer in =
the desert regions of Xinjiang and Inner Mongolia is also hot and dry, =
while winter is cold and dry. On the Tibet Qinghai Plateau (average =
altitude - 4,000 metres), summer is short and moderately warm, while =
winters can get very cold. There is little rainfall throughout the year. =
The differences in day and night temperatures are very great. In central =
China, the summers are hot and humid, with a lot of rainfall in the late =
summer months. In the low lying regions of the Yangzi, winter is =
somewhat milder than in the central Chinese loess mountain regions or in =
Sichuan , which is enclosed by mountains. In the regions around Beijing, =
X'ian and Zhengzhou, there are occasional sand storms in winter and =
spring. A mild climate with warm summers and cool winters generally =
prevails on the Yunnan Guizhou High Plateau, with little rainfall, and =
very rare frosts. Southern China has a sub-tropical climate. Rainfall is =
distributed around the year, the summers are long, humid and hot, and =
the winters are short with cooler temperatures.=20

Most metropolitan areas of China are in the east, so there may well be =
quite a bit of humidity - at least in the summer. Beijing is right =
across the Yellow Sea from North Korea, and we Americans all know from =
watching M*A*S*H, that it gets pretty darn cold and dry in the winter =
there.

I am also on the boat that suspects a little more marketing input than =
science to all this grey market stuff.

Terry Farrell

----- Original Message -----=20