Re key bounce

David C. Stanwood stanwood at tiac.net
Thu Jun 1 12:04:25 MDT 2006

>  << What causes a key to "bounce"? In that, when the key is pressed and
> > then it returns there is a little bounce up and down. What can be
> > done to minimise this?

One cause of key bounce, besides low up weights, is overworked wippen
support springs...  Check the wippen flanges and see if there are support
springs...  if so, see how much the down weight drops after disengaging the
spring...  if it's more than 17grams your likely to have "bouncy key".  The
more the spring works above 17 grams the worse the effect.  This 17gram cut
off is echoed by Lloyd Meyer, Renner USA and I agree with it, although I
find that pianos feel more normal to more pianists when key weighting is
designed so that spring tension only reduces touch weight 9-12grams.  I've
seen Samicks and other makes with springs that work as much as 40 grams off
the touch weight...  that's a big big no no...!

David Stanwood