Thunky Steinway Monochords

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Thu Jun 1 12:53:28 MDT 2006

What is the likelihood that the thunky sound of the low monochords on a
Steinway (B) will be improved significantly by simply rescaling those 8
notes to thinner core wire and double wraps.  And if I do that, what problem
might I create with the blending between the bichords and the monochords?  I
have a customer who is complaining about the tone at that end (fairly new
piano).  I have not yet seen the piano so I haven't checked the bearing at
that end which, I suppose, might also be a contributing factor.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net