Baldwin mold?

Robert Casper bcasper at cox.net
Fri Jun 2 09:05:25 MDT 2006

I have a new client with a 1990 Baldwin SF.  After tuning I pulled the
action to deal with a couple of "sticky keys".  I was very surprised to see
a lot of growth on the hammer shafts (mostly in the center of the piano).
To a much lesser degree it is on the wippens also.  I have never seen this
before and wondered what it is and how to treat it.  It looks like white
crystals growing.  This is a link to a couple of pictures to help identify
this mess.

http://members.cox.net/bcasper/baldwin.htm

Bob Casper
Associate