Pinblock dilemma for a first timer.

Overs Pianos sec at overspianos.com.au
Fri Jun 2 17:23:09 MDT 2006

>It's important for laminate panels to have an odd number of plies.
>
>Not necessarily. It depends on the overall number and thickness of
>the plies involved, and it's going to be pretty much a non-issue
>with an upright. An 11 ply maple block and a backer/spacer will work
>as well and as cheaply as anything he could come up with.
>
>Ron N

I agree with you Ron N. I've done this many times. When a really
thick pin block is required, just glue and extra thickness of a hard
timber on the base of the pinblock blank before cutting it out (rock
maple or harder, ie. 0.7 gr/cc or denser). It will work very well. If
its glued and clamped on a flat surface, it will cure quite flat
enough that it can be fitted up to a plate and securely screwed.

Ron O.
--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY
    Grand Piano Manufacturers