A First Tuning

Michelle Smith michelle at cdaustin.com
Fri Jun 2 21:20:49 MDT 2006

Hi Marshall.  I'm going to answer this on the list because a couple of
people have asked.  All of you seasoned tuners out there can commence
cringing at my lack of experience.

I decided to enter this field in January of this year, purchased the Randy
Potter course, read ever darned word of the thing(!), and purchased a
Cybertuner.  I've practiced extensively on my baby grand and two clunkers,
have tuned the pianos of several family/friends, and have now tuned 2
customer pianos.

While I do depend on my ETD very much, I take the time to check my intervals
in the temperament area before moving on with the tuner.  I don't feel quite
ready to tune a customer piano completely by ear.  As far as time is
concerned, it takes me 2 to 2.5 hours if I have to do a pitch raise.

I've also gotten involved with my local chapter, attended an Associate
Seminar (I highly recommend one of these), and have a casual arrangement
with a local rebuilder where I can visit/do work for free.  (Aka slave
labor.)

If my husband were sitting here, he would tell you I'm obsessed.   A tuner
friend told me with my musician's ear and obsessive tendencies, I should do
just fine in this business.  Ha Ha Ha!

Have a wonderful weekend.

Michelle Smith

Bastrop, Texas