wire size

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Jun 3 10:46:08 MDT 2006

> An easy way to remember the formula is "mic minus": if you're starting
> with the micrometer reading, always subtract first.  Subtract "FIVE" for
> "WIRE", "TEN" for a "PIN" (center pin), then divide by two.
>
> --Cy--
> SHUSTERpiano.com

Mental shortcut when you're micing wire. For anything under
0.050" (#22.5 wire), consider the first 0.025" mark on the
barrel to be 0.020" instead. Makes it real easy to just add 20
to the thimble reading, and divide by 2 (or divide just the
thimble reading and add 10). Then when, not if - when, you
check your replacement wire against the original, ignore the
barrel mark and just match the thimble number from the
original measurement so you only have to do one calculation.
Tricks for the lazy and simple minded, like me.

Ron N