[ctuner] Does laptop heat affect tuning?

Mark Schecter schecter at pacbell.net
Sat Jun 3 18:46:03 MDT 2006

ed440 at mindspring.com wrote:
> Mark-
> A good observation.
> It should be easy to test: tune a string, then sit your iBook on the struts for 2 minutes and test the pitch.
> Ed Sutton

Hi, Ed.

Well, I'm sure from having used it for five years that it's not
happening with the iBook. I have non-skid waffle-foam on the bottom to
protect piano finishes, and I think that may help reduce radiation and
conduction of heat. My question is more regarding the effect of
increasing temperatures found in newer, faster, hotter laptops than my
old, "slow" 800MHz (!) G3 iBook. I'm tempted to buy a MacBook 'cause
it's so "cool", but there has to be a point where heat becomes an
anti-coolness factor. I'm wondering if the dual-core Intel chip and
associated circuitry has reached that point.

-Mark Schecter