wire size

Thomas Cole tcole at cruzio.com
Sat Jun 3 21:03:41 MDT 2006

pianotune05 wrote:

> I'm curious, where would one see size 23 wire?
> Marshall

I have used really thick pieces of wire for splicing broken bass strings
on concert grands. Otherwise, it is very rare to see a #23 string.

I was just reading on line about the Smith-Kettlewell micrometer which
is recommended by a sight-impaired piano technician in San Francisco:

"For general use in making precision measurements of mechanical dimensions.

This is a standard mechanical micrometer which has been adapted with an
expanded braille scale. The scale is on a drum whose diameter is larger
than the "thimble" on which visual markings are inscribed.

Can be used by blind machinists, automotive repair technicians, piano
tuners, electronics and fabrications technicians, etc."

Regards,
Tom Cole