Slow Hammer Return

KeyKat88 at aol.com KeyKat88 at aol.com
Sun Jun 4 14:17:24 MDT 2006

Greetings,

        Good advice below. Yes, I would check these things (hammer rail
springs broken or popped out, and try to isolate the problem) as Dave mentions
below. Is the piano in a humid situation? (I often ask the customer questions like
was the piano recently moved? If so, from where? (a damp basement?) Then it
could be the hammer's action centers the 50/50 alchohol to water would be a
good bushing shrinker, if so.

         I went to tune a reguylar customer's piano once, and the piano was
sharper than when I had last tuned it AND some of the jacks and hammers were
sluggish AND it was the end of winter!!!  All these things pointed to that the
action under went exposure to humidity, yet, it was the end of winter, a time
when the heat is on up here in the North and things should actuallly be drier,
shrunken and the piano should be flatter!!

      So I asked if there was a humidifying situation recently, such as a
major pipe burst or is she running a humidifier.  Here the lady told me she had
her ceiling re-plastered and it had been very humid for about a week till the
guy was done (she said he used alot of water and it had to dry) AND PLUS she
had the carpet steamed cleaned when he was done!!.

so....see...

      Sometimes you just gotta be a detective. Ask the customer questions,
you wouldn't believe what goes on in the lives of people. If the all signs are
pointing to something, try to go with that train of logic. Ask yourself  why
why. why. This list is great for questions as well. Also, at a certain point,
sometimes you just gotta trust in your knowledge, trust yourself.

Julia Gottshall
Reading, PA

In a message dated 6/3/2006 6:39:30 PM Eastern Standard Time,