Re key bounce

Cy Shuster cy at shusterpiano.com
Sun Jun 4 15:29:16 MDT 2006

Hi, Julia,

Here's one place to start:
http://www.stanwoodpiano.com/touchweight.htm

--Cy--
shusterpiano.com
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: KeyKat88 at aol.com
  To: pianotech at ptg.org
  Sent: Sunday, June 04, 2006 3:29 PM
  Subject: Re: Re key bounce

  Greeetings,

         Some ot this is so greek to me! Where can I learn more about touch weight?

  Julia Gottshall
  Reading, PA

  In a message dated 6/1/2006 5:51:32 PM Eastern Standard Time, sec at overspianos.com.au writes:
    One cause of key bounce, besides low up weights, is overworked
    >wippen support springs...  Check the wippen flanges and see if there
    >are support springs...  if so, see how much the down weight drops
    >after disengaging the spring...  if it's more than 17grams your
    >likely to have "bouncy key".  The more the spring works above 17
    >grams the worse the effect.  This 17gram cut off is echoed by Lloyd
    >Meyer, Renner USA and I agree with it, although I find that pianos
    >feel more normal to more pianists when key weighting is designed so
    >that spring tension only reduces touch weight 9-12grams.  I've seen
    >Samicks and other makes with springs that work as much as 40 grams
    >off the touch weight...  that's a big big no no...!
    >
    >David Stanwood

    I would agree with David. When using assist springs we usually set
    them to assist 10 grams on note A1, graduating down to no assistance
    by around note C52. We've set up no. 6, which we're bringing to
    Rochester, with assist springs set up as mentioned above.

    Best regards,
    Ron O.